Created in January 2019 by University Mohammed V of Rabat and its partners (Ministry of Higher Education and Research, Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique et Technique – CNRST, International University of Rabat – UIR, University Ibn Tofail of Kénitra – UITK), the IMEA is an Institute of Advanced Studies whose main mission is to promote high-level scientific research in the humanities and social sciences and foster the dialogue and interaction with other scientific domains (life science, data science, environmental science, etc.).
The IMEA offers about fifteen fellowship positions to experienced international scholars (juniors and seniors) in the fields of the humanities and social sciences for periods of 5 and 10 months during the academic year 2020-2021.
The IMEA offers leading researchers the opportunity to undertake the research project of their choice, benefiting from a strong interdisciplinary and multicultural environment. The Institute supports its fellows in the development of scientific collaborations with a wide spectrum of Moroccan academic, research and cultural institutions.
Candidates can apply for a stay during one of the following periods:
September 1, 2020 – January 31, 2021 (5 months)
September 1, 2020 – June 30, 2021 (10 months)
February 1st – June 30th, 2021 (5 months)
BLUE SKY FELLOWSHIPS
The fellowship programme is “blue sky” i.e. proposed research projects can involve any discipline and theme of the humanities and social sciences. They must be innovative and open fresh interdisciplinary perspectives.
The applications addressing one or more of the following thematic and transversal axes are particularly encouraged:
Educational, cultural and societal transformations
- Secondary / higher education, capabilities and opportunities
- Cultural and societal transformations
- Inclusion, innovation and social cohesion
- Labour / Capital: State, regulations, companies, markets
- Urban and coastal development policies
- Inequalities and public health
- Domestic and international migration
The future begins today
- Demography, aging, intergenerational perspectives
- Energy, natural resources and environment
- Smart cities
- Artificial intelligence
- Issues of digitalization and digital
- Public actors (governance, public policies) / private actors (CSR, globalization)
- Interregional dynamics, North/South(s)
A detailed presentation of the thematic and transversal axes is available on the IMEA website.
The key selection criterion is the excellence of the project and the applicant, with priority given to innovative projects.
CRITERIA FOR ELIGIBILITY
Eligible are researchers of any nationality.
Candidates must be under contract with their institution for the duration of their stay at IMEA.
Researchers who obtained their doctoral degree after January 1, 2010 will be considered as “junior”.
Researchers who obtained their doctorate before January 1, 2010 will be considered as “senior”.
The selection criteria are:
- the scientific quality of the project, its innovative character and its interest for the scientific community;
- the scientific background of the candidate;
- the quality of the candidate’s scientific contacts and his projects of collaboration with teams and researchers (organization of conferences, participation in seminars, setting up of international projects, etc.).
In the selection operated under the auspices of its International Scientific Council, the IMEA intends to create balanced and diverse cohorts of fellows in terms of gender, origin and disciplines.
The application, written in English or French, is submitted exclusively through the online application system. Files sent by e-mail or by post are not accepted.
The application consists of a completed online form, as well as the following documents to be attached in PDF format:
- Curriculum vitae including a global list of publications (10 pages max.) highlighting the five publications considered to be the most important;
- Research project (maximum 15,000 characters, excluding bibliography) presenting:
- the originality of the project;
- the methodology;
- expected benefits;
- existing scientific contacts or planned collaborations;
- detailed bibliography (works and articles cited).
- If applicable, a letter confirming the interest of a university or research institution located in Morocco to collaborate with the candidate, signed by a member of that institution.
- For junior researchers only: two letters of recommendation.
CONDITIONS OF STAY
The IMEA grants its fellows a living monthly allowance equivalent to X.XXX euros for juniors and X.XXX euros for seniors, the rent for the duration of their stay and reimbursement of their return trip to Morocco.
The IMEA houses its resident researchers in apartments and riads located in the city and close to all amenities.
Travel expenses for a round trip (economy class) to the residence of the fellow are covered by the IMEA.
The IMEA will ensure that residents have adequate personal insurance covering the risks incurred during their stay in Morocco, for themselves and their accompanying persons.
MEANS OF RESEARCH
The IMEA is located in the heart of Madinat Al Irfane in Rabat in the vicinity of the various university institutions of Mohammed V University. During their stay, the residents have an office equipped with a computer, an internet access and printing facilities. The IMEA provides them with meeting and conference rooms.
Residents may apply for financial and material support from the IMEA for their research work and scientific activities. This includes in particular the organization of scientific events (symposia, study days, conferences) and of doctoral training initiatives. One-off assistance for translation and publication of texts is also possible.
The agreements between IMEA and its partner institutions allow residents to benefit from privileged access and extended loan possibilities at major academic libraries as soon as they arrive, as well as access to the CNRST library and to the Moroccan Institution for Scientific and Technology Information – IMIST databases.
Deadline for applications: 31 December 2019 midnight (GMT +1)
- Selection: March 2020
- Notification of results: April 2020
- Arrival of residents: from September 2020